Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tipsy Tuesday: Fig Thyme



As I walked into whole foods this past weekend, the beautiful display of figs caught my eye. Confession, I've always loved fig newtons as a kid. Strange perhaps, yes, but they are just so naturally sweet and delicious!  (my husband also thinks it's weird I loved Ovaltine, but come on, that chocolatey powder is the biggity-bomb. Back to the topic at hand..) Because of my childhood love of the fig-newts, I later graduated to eating dried mission figs with nuts as a snack. When I spotted this cocktail in The Art of the Bar, I knew I had to make it.  
This is the all grown-up version of my fig love affair, and oh, how sweet it is.

Ingredients:

1 Fig quartered
plus 1 extra quarter for garnish
1/2 oz of thyme simple syrup *
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz pisco
1/4 oz cointreau


Muddle the quartered fig with thyme syrup in the bottom of a shaker glass. Top with ice and add the lime juice, pisco, and Cointreau. Shake until cold and then strain through fine mesh sieve into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with quartered fig and a sprig of thyme if you'd like!


*Thyme simple syrup: 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 cups water, 5-6 sprigs of fresh thyme or 3 teaspoons of dried thyme.

simmer for 15-20 minutes. Cool, strain through a sieve, transfer to a bottle and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

  Enjoy! xox

No comments:

Post a Comment