Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

DIY: Nautical Knot Napkin Rings


I had some trim left from when I had made my nautical vase and was wondering what to do with it. With home-ownership on the horizon, I've been dreaming of table-scapes and thought a napkin ring would be nice!


You will need:

some rope trim, about 2 yards to make 8 rings
 (I used this cotton one found at Joanne's Fabric)
scotch tape
glue gun
gold spray paint! (optional)


cut a length of rope-trim at 8 inches long. 
Have the scotch tape handy to wrap around the end as you cut it because it will immediately start to fray and unravel. I taped a small tip, as small as I could (seen in the background above) and trimmed the extra tape. Do this on both ends. You should get a somewhat pointed-end.

Then, tie the length in a knot, making sure it's roughly in the center of the rope. 

Dab hot glue underneath each end of the knot while wrapping the rope around (pictured above- so it's in the right spot when you make the ring!)

Then secure the ends together with hot glue, overlapping the pointed tape-covered tips, until you get a uniform thickness in the rope. You can also use a little scotch tape here too. I did hot glue, then wrapped with a piece of tape that I cut in half lengthwise, then secured all around with hot glue again. You can use the hot tip of the glue gun to then melt the tape and glue all together and smooth out any edges.

I then coated them with 3 coats of gold spray paint for some extra glam.

They came out kind of bronze-looking but they really look great! Overall, I'm super pleased with the finished product. 


No comments:

Post a Comment