Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tipsy Tuesday: Blackberry Bourbon Bramble


I've been wanting to do a bourbon cocktail for awhile now. I fondly think back to when I first moved here to bourbon country. I decided to have a girls night with a few of the ladies in my master's program. I picked up the essentials of course, lots of wine.  When I offered the lovely chilled-white to the girls all accepted except one, who said kindly, "oh, no thanks. But i'll have some bourbon and ginger ale if you've got it!?"

I did not.

In fact, I had never even tasted bourbon, and the first time I did I thought it was gross. My, how things change over time.  I've truly grown to savor the earthy flavor that good Bourbon adds to everything. And when you live in Kentucky, I really mean everything. Barbecue sauce, chocolates, marinades, desserts... I mean you name it, it's on some menu some where! And it's probably delicious...



I decided to search for cocktails including Bourbon and St. Germain, thinking the floral of the elderflower would enhance the earthy notes of the Bourbon. I came across this little gem on saveur. While in Wholefoods, I also happened upon some beautiful blackberries from a local farm and thought, voila! Local berries, local bourbon. Done & done.


muddle 6 blackberries in the bottom of a shaker.
Add:
1 ounce elderflower liqueur 
1 ounce bourbon 
1/2 ounce creme de cassis 
A squeeze of fresh lemon juice

Shake for 45-60 seconds and strain into a glass. I added a giant ice cube to elongate my chilled beve sipping pleasure.  This keeps it cold without watering it down.

Enjoy!

1 comment: