Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Gluten free banana bread recipe

gluten-free-banana-bread-1

Remember the whole Paleo thing..?
Well, it lasts about 3 days any time I even think about venturing to eat no carbs. When I was super jazzed about it in the beginning I went out and bought almond flour, coconut flour, stevia drops, coconut crystals and aminos... I mean you name it, I probably bought it. 
I had visions of me baking all these delicious paleo, gluten free baked goods, working out all the time, and trimming down to a fit cave-woman-like frame.

Fast forward to a few days ago... that coconut flour was still unopened in the pantry.  I decided to consult the Google on some gluten free recipes that would incorporate almond and coconut flours to make a delicious gluten free banana bread. However, mostly everything I found had all these extra silly ingredients like a tablespoon of strange starches and regular gluten free baking flour (which isn't paleo- since its mostly made from fava beans).

Consistencies among recipes for gluten free banana breads were lots of eggs and long cook times.
So I figured, what the heck... lets just wing it and see what happens.

gluten-free-banana-bread-2
Ingredients:

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/4 cup coconut crystals
4 eggs
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 1/2 tsp good vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe (with lots of brown spots) bananas 
(about 2 organic regular sized bananas)
liquid stevia drops (20 drops or 1 full squirt!)

mix dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
mix eggs, banana, vanilla, melted coconut oil and stevia in a small bowl.
 Add the wet into the dry and mix until incorporated. 

It will not seem like regular batter. You'll have this strange, pasty concoction in front of you and you'll think, surely this is not going to taste good... I should've just bought the damn starch...


gluten-free-banana-bread-3
Spread into a loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for a solid 50 minutes.

gluten-free-banana-bread-4

As I found, it won't rise much. BUT it does taste wonderfully delicious! Like, really good. Like, I-could've-eaten-the-whole-loaf-in-two-days-if-i-didn't-practice-self-restraint-and-I-may-not-have-shared-with-my-husband- good.

This yummy gluten free banana bread recipe yielded a dense but moist loaf. I think I will try and tweak it moving forward, and read that using a ceramic baking dish helps coddle the batter and can lead to it rising a little more. Now that, I'll invest in.



1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! All there is to it!

    {This is such a timely post. Just found out I have celiac. SHOOT ME.}

    ReplyDelete