Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Almond Macadamia Milk






I've been wanting to make homemade almond milk for a while now. My husband loooves almond milk, and since I did some reading on the paleo fad, we don't do much traditional dairy around our house anymore (except for cheese... because, um, it's cheese).

I was searching the web for almond milk recipes and came across this one in the NY Times.
And holy moly, is it good.

The macadamia nut adds a fattier component to the milk, making it super creamy, and a perfect compliment to our delicious hand brewed coffee.

Also, it foams amazingly in our milk-frother-thingie! 

I tweaked the NYT recipe a bit, mostly because my husband has a sweet tooth... 


Almond Macadamia Milk

adapted form NYTimes

1 generous cup of raw almonds
(blanched says NYT, but I did a two step overnight soak instead- if you have the time, then why not).
1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
1/3 cup pitted dates (I used 1/2 cup which was about 4 large dates.)
1 liter of water (which is a little over 4 cups) 

Soak the almonds for about 12 hours at room temperature in a sealed plastic container. (tip: I put them in water in the morning so I could soak everything overnight).

Peel the almonds by firmly pinching the almond on the fat end. The skin will basically pop right off in between your finger. Be sure not to shoot your almonds all over the kitchen. 

Combine the almonds, macadamia nuts, pitted dates, and 4 cups of water in a large container overnight (12 hours or more) at room temp on the counter.

Pour your nut mixture into a high speed blender and blend until completely pulverized. 

Pour contents into a nut bag over a large bowl or container and firmly, but carefully squeeze the mixture until only the nut remainders are left. Funnel into a container and store in the refrigerator. Milk will be good for 5 days, if it even lasts that long....



No comments:

Post a Comment