Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

About to Pop - Over

My beautiful sister is pregnant with her first child and due in a week!! I am so pumped to be an aunt and can't wait to meet my nephew. For my bachelorette party in Miami, my dear sister planned a dinner for all the girls at the fabulous BLT Steak in The Betsy Hotel. They served the most decadent and tasty bread items pre steak-fest, Gruyere Pop Overs. Lucky for us, they also included the recipe card for these beauties on our napkins.



In tribute to my sister, who's ready to pop! I ventured to make these beauties with much success. Though their sheer size and taste made me think this was going to be quite the task- it was surprisingly easy. The bake-time being the only deterrent from making them a week-night must.


after the first turn. I was a bit concerned I had done something wrong.

Starting to feel better about it at the next turn. they sure popped-over quickly!!
The result.

I served them alongside steaks. They're great as is or topped with some butter and salt. Enjoy!

BLT Steak Gruyere Pop-Overs.
4 cups milk 
4 cups all-purpose flour 
1.5 Tbs. kosher salt 
8 eggs 
2.5 cups Gruyère cheese, grated 

(makes 12- halving this works for one batch of 6)
Place a 6-cup popover pan in the bottom third of an oven. Place a baking sheet on the rack underneath to catch any drips. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.

In a small saucepan gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside. Whisk the eggs until frothy, then slowly whisk in the hot milk, adding it slowly and whisking constantly so the eggs don’t cook.  then gradually whisk in the sifted flour+salt mixture in until almost smooth.

Remove the popover pan from the oven and spray the cups with nonstick vegetable spray. Fill the prepared cups about three-fourths full with batter and sprinkle each with approx 2 tbsp. cheese.
Bake for 50 minutes, turning pan 180 degrees every 15 minutes. Serve immediately!


No comments:

Post a Comment