Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Cleaning: Don't forget your makeup bag!


The season change is always a difficult time for me. I've slowly adjusted over the past 3 years (now living in a place with actual season changes) to transition my wardrobe. But there's something about spring that just makes me want to purge.

I took advantage of not having J around this weekend and went. through. everything.
well, almost everything.  After cleaning out the fridge, the oven, my closet.. I realized I should probably tackle my make-up collection.

The gross reality is- make-up is a breeding ground for bacteria. If you rarely break-out and start to randomly, the culprit most likely lies in what you're putting on your face everyday (the make-up itself) or how you're applying it (when was the last time you washed that foundation brush or replaced your sponge, huh?)



It's important to clean your make-up brushes at least on a weekly basis. Warm water and a gentle antibacterial hand cleanser or dish soap will work - you don't have to buy fancy brush cleaner.

1. Run the brush under luke warm water, lather with the soap in a back and forth motion in the palm of your hand and rinse well. Be sure not to leave any soapy residue on your brushes.
[For my foundation and concealer brushes sometimes I do this twice.]
2. Gently squeeze the tips from the metal base down over the sink then pinch flat in a paper towel
3. Lay flat on a clean paper towel to dry (about 5-6 hours).

 If you use a foundation brush, build an extra minute into your morning routine to clean the brush post your daily glam sesh. 
The daily needs.
Guidelines for knowing when to pitch it:

Lipstick: 1 year
[extend this by cleaning it with alcohol after each use or using a clean lip brush to apply]

Mascara: 2 months
[if it starts to smell, it's definitely time to replace it]

Eyeshadow: 2 years

Powder (such as pressed powder, bronzer or blush): 2 years

Water Based Foundations (usually labeled as oil-free, matte, or mattyfying): 1 year

Oil Based Foundations (they have oil as their first or second ingredient): 1.5 years


I like to keep my daily needs in the bin on my dresser, and the less used essentials tucked away- but still easily accessible. You probably won't wear smokey shadow, liquid liner and false lashes on a Tuesday, but you don't want to be digging around come prepping for Saturday night on the town!



Other spring cleaning reminders you may not think about: replace your toothbrush lately? or the sponge in your kitchen sink??

Happy spring cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment