Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Paleo Lasagna



Now, I know "Paleo" is a big fad right now, but if you look into some of the science and research behind it- there's some sound reasoning there!  I read It Starts With Food and have thought about doing a 30 day challenge...

I just really love bread & pasta...

After reading the book, I do think it is good to cut back on processed carbs and grains however, so I made this pasta-less lasagna recently.
 Reality: the pasta was not missed. It was yum.



Ingredients

1 lb ground turkey
1 jar of your favorite sauce (I used an organic tomato basil from Whole Foods)
2 yellow squash
grated almond cheese; mozzarella style ( also found at Whole Foods in the cheese section- you could use regular but it would not be true paleo)
1/2 tsp - 1 tsp garlic powder (depending on your taste)
salt & pepper

1. Brown the turkey in a heavy sauce pan with the garlic powder and salt and pepper. Then drain the turkey and add the jar of sauce. 

2. Cut squash into thin slices. (if you have a mandolin, awesome- and use it)

3. Lightly grease a baking dish (just to help with clean up really - I sprayed a little organic coconut oil- found at whole foods), and layer with squash then a layer of the meat/sauce. Repeat until the dish is full.

4. Top with "cheese"! and bake in 350 over for 20-30 minutes. I wanted the squash to still have some bite, so i baked it about 15 minutes then put it under the broiler for another 3-5 to brown the cheese.

5. Enjoy!!  





No comments:

Post a Comment